MY COVID19 AND LOCKDOWN EXPERIENCES

CORONAVIRUS. 2020. Hmmmm. Tell me a great pandemic would have invaded my country in 2020 and I would have insisted you were crazy. I remember how people were really looking forward to 2020 with a lot of hope and positivity and of course I wasn't exempted. I heard about coronavirus in December 2019, I believed it wouldn't come to Ghana because Ebola couldn't set its crooked legs here and it seems I was wrong after all. There was fear and panic all over after confirming our first case, especially when some bloggers started spreading fake news on social media.
 

We had just started counting the number of cases when orders were given that social gatherings and religious activities were banned plus schools and the borders were to be closed. I think these measures made people to start taking the virus seriously. I was disappointed because I had barely started going for classes and I was really looking forward to it. The closing of schools made most universities venture into the virtual learning system. Most students complained about the stress but they later adjusted to the situation they had no other option.


A partial lockdown was later issued to help curb the growth of the virus. This was one aspect of my experience that I would never forget. There was a "panic buying" because people were rushing to get enough foodstuff to store at home whiles traders were also selling items at a much expensive rate. I don't know if it was deliberate but I think it was obnoxious especially in this time of the crisis. We only went out when we had to and the police plus the soldiers were around to guide and ensure that we obeyed the rules. Amidst the boredom, most youth jumped on apps like TikTok and Thriller to make funny and soothing videos to relieve them from their boredom. I must say it really helped especially when celebrities jumped in too. Most workers stayed at home and others worked from home. Some individuals and organisations also donated cash and other materials to help combat the deadly virus. The lockdown was lifted after a while but the ban still remained.


Fast forward to today, the final year students in universities are preparing for their exams likewise final year students in the J.H.S and S.H.S respectively. Religious bodies are now operating but under strict rules and measures just to avoid further spread of the virus. We are now in June and we are waiting on the government to gradually allow us to get back to our normal activities.

Covid19 has been a one of a kind experience. Anyways, I am still experiencing it. One lesson is that; "Nobody is superior than the other, whether rich or poor, strong or weak, black or white, it is only God who keeps us. I hope I live to see the day this virus would be eradicated from this earth. I hope to tell my children and grandchildren about my experience during this pandemic just as my grandmother told me about her experiences during the famine in 1983.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 THINGS I WOULD BRING TO A DESERTED ISLAND

TOP 5 ADVICES I HAVE EVER BEEN GIVEN. (THE BEST)

A DAY I WILL NEVER FORGET