AN EXPERIENCE THAT MADE ME GROW

 


Fun Fact: I was just going through my gallery and I found the picture for my cover photo. I wrote everything just by looking at the picture. I hope you enjoy this one.


Experience is the best teacher they say. Indeed it is. There have been a lot of stuff I've been through which has contributed to who I am today but the first experience that came to mind when I wrote the topic was my work experience. My first job. I could write a whole book out from that job. It taught me a lot.



I started to work just when I completed senior high school. Working after school wasn't part of the plans at all. I had this mindset of sleeping through out the rest of the days because I had spent three years of waking up early to be at school, work my brains out to pass series of examinations, extracurricular activities and abiding by some ridiculous regulations plus rules. I was so worn out that all I had in mind was to sleep and never wake up. I woke up the next monday after I graduated from high school and thought to myself; "Granny has done enough. Go out there and support with the little you earn". And that was how a very young girl from senior high school got into business.

The official work I got was a waitress. Truth is, I never had any experience in waiting so you can imagine starting from the bottom. I can vividly remember my first day at work and my God it was terrible. Since I was inexperienced, I was at the back making sure the waiters got everything they needed to offer the best of service to the customers. I didn't know how to professionally talk to customers, relate with co-workers, find my way in and out of the restaurant and a whole lot. Looking back, I firmly believe it's a must for every newbie to go through that.

Time was moving and I had to catch up. I started learning faster and as most of you all know, I'm not the over dull type. I couldn't stand being left out and looking dumb all the time because I had no idea about anything. I started by learning the menu, asking questions and going the extra mile to be a good team player. It got to a time when I was sad I wasn't a waitress yet because I felt like I was doing my best but none of the superiors seemed to notice my hardwork. After what seemed like forever, my name tag was changed from a "runner" to a "waitress". (When it's your time, nothing in the universe can stop you).

A FRIEND YOU ARE..... DON'T LEAVE ME HERE ALONE. LET'S CONTINUE DARLING

Working as a waitress in a restaurant has helped me a lot and it is one thing in my life that I will never regret. I met amazing colleagues who are now family. Oh and it's not like it was all smooth. Naaaah. We argued, most of the time actually. Those annoying colleagues thought me how to go on if the team is reluctant to accomplish the goal. They thought me that if you take little things like arguments and quarrels personally you would be drowning your own soul. Hence you will see us in a heated argument and the next minute we will be smiling to eachother and that's because the opponent isn't ourselves but the difficult customer. The work has taught me how to smile through the pain. Your Job is to smile to the customer even when you don't feel like doing so, even when you're having personal problems or you're sick. Nobody gives a D. Just smile your confusion out and make the customer feel at home. Oh yeahhh. Being a waitress has taught me how to relate with people from different backgrounds, with different mindsets and perspectives. I learnt how to accept other people's views even when I felt they were crap. I learnt how to deal with extremely rude customers because hey, the customer is always right. And sincerely, it stuck with me. You say something offensive or be openly rude, I keep quiet, smile and turn away. I might beat you if I stand by you. (Hahaha) Working as a waitress taught me to be as independent as I can be. Saving, taking care of some of the bills, chilling with friends, surprising my cousins with gifts and a whole lot. It gave me a visualization of who a financially stable independent woman is. I also learned how to manage and abide by my time. (From age 19 to 21. I learnt a lot) I got connections from customers, learnt from those that I became friends with and I got to understand their world also. The adult world I would say. Those people opened my eyes on life in general. I have a whole lot more to recount but I know some of you all are already tired of reading.

WAIT. LAST WORDS PLEASE. (Awwwwn. Thank you for waiting)

We go through experiences to grow. I wrote this beautiful post(Oh yes I know it's beautiful) just for you to realise that in every experience, there's a lesson for you to grab. Your experience may be negative and painful but the lesson is key. It helps in shaping you. It makes you knowledgeable. One thing we fail to understand is that sometimes, the reward is the experience. So here's to us taking risks, learning from our experiences and growing.

THANK YOU FOR STICKING WITH ME THROUGH OUT THIS LONG RIDE. STAY BLESSED

Love, Angel.
Xoxo.





Comments

  1. Perfect 👌🏼 Great achievements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only source of knowledge is experience indeed. It’s true that we are the product of what we’ve been through. We can choose to learn from our experiences to grow or we can just sit back and do nothing, either ways it takes the same kinda energy. Experiences are like scars and each one tells a story. Thanks a lot for this one✌🏾❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 THINGS I WOULD BRING TO A DESERTED ISLAND

TOP 5 ADVICES I HAVE EVER BEEN GIVEN. (THE BEST)

A DAY I WILL NEVER FORGET